So, you want to make your own jewellery.
1. Decide what you want to make?
- Pendant – is it solid or kinetic
- Cuff – hollow or solid
- Bracelet – whole or hinged
- Bangle – whole or hinged
- Earrings – post, hook or clip-on
2. Do research and gather ideas
- Pinterest is a great place to gather ideas and organise them into groups or themes. What is motivating the making? Are there any inspirational ideas that can come from that?
- Look at nature, shapes of flowers or seeds, tree bark, sweeps in river bends, patterns on stones
- Use your phone to record ideas
3. Sketch it out
- These can be as rough as you like but they aim to give your brain a bit to think about, to get the creative juices flowing.
- Cuttings from magazines can be useful
4. Refine it
- Work out your sizes
- What thickness will it be
- Check your materials
5. Mock it up
- Make a paper version: this can be handing for checking sizes and the overall impression